Canadian Limousin Association Summer Student
Position Summary: The Canadian Limousin Association (CLA) is a non-profit, member-owned organization. Our primary function is to maintain the pedigree herdbook of Limousin cattle in Canada. We also provide Registry/Member Services to the Canadian Shorthorn Association membership. The Canadian Limousin Association seeks the assistance of a summer student to help with a variety of work over the summer. Working with the CLA General Manager, Canadian Junior Limousin Association Coordinator, and Registry/Member Services staff, the summer student will have the opportunity to learn about all aspects of working with a beef breed association. Because this position relies on achieving government funding, it is required that the applicant be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment; have been registered as a full-time student in the previous academic year; and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year.
- Complete registry work such as animal registrations and data entry
- Administrative tasks such as answering phone and e-mail inquiries, record keeping, filing, invoicing, handling incoming and outgoing mail, and processing payments
- Organizing and archiving historical Association photo and video records in preparation of the 50th anniversary of the Canadian Limousin Association in 2019
- Interviewing and photographing rural farm operations and writing articles for the Limousin Voice magazine
- Developing educational material and promotional material
- Assisting with social media for the Association
- Involvement with planning and implementation of Canadian Junior Limousin Association Impact Show under the direction of the CJLA Coordinator
- Assist the General Manager as requested
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- Preference will be given to a student studying agriculture, beef production, animal health, genetics, journalism, creative writing, office administration, business, or a related field of study.
- Willingness to learn an online registry system and the policies and procedures of the Canadian Limousin Association and Canadian Shorthorn Association
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, good keyboarding skills, good writing skills
- Excellent telephone and communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to multi task, work quickly and efficiently in a fast-paced environment
- Highly detail oriented, with strong organizational, planning and time management skills
- Conducts themselves in a professional manner, and able to keep information confidential
- Previous experience in the beef industry considered an asset but not required
Location: Work is based at the Canadian Limousin Association office in Calgary, Alberta. Office hours are 8:30 am–4:30 pm Monday to Friday. It is expected that the successful candidate will begin his/her work term on May 7th or as soon as possible thereafter and work until the end of August.
Salary: $14.60 per hour
Apply: Please e-mail your cover letter, resume and references to Tessa Verbeek, Canadian Limousin Association General Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org by May 1st.